WHAT IS OVI/DUI
Driving Under the Influence, more commonly referred to as a DUI, has changed to a new acronym in the state of Ohio. The state’s new acronym is OVI, Operating a Vehicle Impaired. This updated version more accurately reflects Ohio’s DUI OVI laws. First, you do not need to be “driving” in order to be charged with DUI or OVI. Second, a “vehicle” in Ohio includes traditional motorized vehicles as well as bicycles, golf carts, and lawn mowers. Finally, “impaired” now includes drugs of abuse, including prescription drugs. The entire Ohio DUI/Ohio OVI statute can be found at Ohio Revised Code section 4511.19.
In the event that you are operating a vehicle under the influence, you may quickly find yourself in need of a OVI/DUI attorney. If an officer has probable cause, you can be arrested and face OVI/DUI charges. At this point, you will be fingerprinted, have your photo taken and be placed in a holding cell. You may even find yourself spending the night in jail after a OVI/DUI arrest. Now is the time to begin thinking about your OVI/DUI defense.
What are the consequences of a DUI/OVI conviction?
- Suspension of driver’s license
- Revocation of driver’s license
- Jail time
- Mandatory alcohol education programs
- Criminal Record
Additional Consequences – Annie’s Law
The law will increase penalties for OVI offenses by including an expanded look back period for prior OVI convictions, create longer mandatory minimum license suspensions, change requirements related to ignition interlock devices for first-time OVI offenders, and impose stiff penalties for interlock violations while also decreasing penalties for people who abide by ignition interlock rules.
DUI LAWYER BOWLING GREEN, OHIO
The law office of Skip Potter has one of the more impressive performance records as a DUI lawyer in the Northwest Ohio area, including Bowling Green, Findlay, Napoleon, Perrysburg, North Baltimore, Fremont and Fostoria. If you are facing DUI charges, we can assist with reducing and even removing all charges associated with the misdemeanor or felony offense of a DUI/OVI.
As an OVI/ DUI defense lawyer, Skip Potter is skilled in negotiating alternatives to jail and reducing charges. Our areas of expertise include the following in support of our attempts to either vacate the charge or reduce the sentence:
- Analyze the drunk driving arrest
- Ensure that offices had reasonable suspicion in the initiation of the vehicle stop
- Analyze the records of the breathalyzer test for accuracy
- Negotiate based on the circumstances involved
If you are facing an OVI/DUI arrest, our office is available 24/7, day or night. For a free DUI defense consultation to discuss your drunk driving arrest, contact Skip Potter at 419-353-SKIP or contact us online.
Given below are a few helpful links:
- Bowling Green Municipal Court: http://www.bgcourt.org/
- Findlay Municipal Court: http://www.ci.findlay.oh.us/municourt/
- Perrysburg Municipal Court: http://www.perrysburgcourt.com/
- Maumee Municipal Court: http://www.maumee.org/municipal_court/search_court_case_information.php
- Toledo Municipal Court: http://www.toledomunicipalcourt.org/
- Sylvania Municipal Court: http://www.sylvaniacourt.com/